Every so often you come across a realisation that makes you stop and think, and it literally blows your mind.
You discover yourself in a whole other way.
I came across a blog post on Instagram recently, by author Sally Hepworth. She had been interviewed on a podcast and had happily shared her list of no’s… that is, things she says a firm NO to, time and time again.
Her list was so surprising, so long, so wide and varied, that she was asked to share it again… the short version, I believe. 😮
Here are some (emphasis on ‘some’) of the insane things on her list that she says NO to:
- Entering the school grounds of her kids for ANY reason
2. Cooking dinner
3. Remembering birthdays
4. Entertaining at her home (apart from her close friends, and then it’s only takeout 😮😮)
5. Talking on the phone (unless it’s work or an emergency)
7. Playing with her kids – not like park outings or play dates, she means more like hide and seek or dolls 😬
8. Going to the supermarket
I KNOW! MIND BLOWN, right?
I was freaking out, because firstly she has 3 kids. And secondly, I do all of those things, sometimes daily!
It must be said here that Sally has a very supportive husband who pretty much does all the things she doesn’t as she goes about supporting the family with her day-job, i.e. writing.
Nonetheless, it was an enlightening and thought-provoking piece, and it left me with the ultimate question…
What is on my ‘no’ list?
I went to Hubbie the next day, a little upset. I actually felt like I didn’t have much of a ‘no’ list! Sally was so badass, sure of herself, laying down rules and foundations, etc etc.
And Hubbie said to me “that’s not a bad thing!”
Awww. Trust him to make me feel better.
He assured me that not having a big no list was not bad. It meant I was easy going and chilled about things, and that was great in itself, just as Sally is awesome for setting her boundaries!
We can all be awesome, and are awesome… just in different ways. 😁
So, I must ask, and I bet you’re already wondering, counting, pondering… what is on your definitive ‘no’ list? This is the list that you are very clear-cut about, no umms, maybes, sometimes yes, sometimes no.
This is dead set, NO.
Now that’s not to say that you aren’t allowed to ever change your no list. In fact I would be a little disappointed if you didn’t change at least some through the years. That’s life, and we are always changing and evolving, shifting as we enter different life stages and come across new realisations.
Do you wanna know what’s on my list? (But you have to promise to share some of yours!)
Here’s my very small ‘no’ list, and I’ve been sitting on it for weeks now so I know it won’t get much longer, despite my hardest to be super badass 🤣
- Ironing. It is overrated, time wasting, and I hate it. I admit, if I have to do it (pre-fancy occasion), I begrudgingly pull out the iron… but I curse the whole time, and still think it’s shit when I’m done.
- Super high heels. Like, why would I want to risk killing myself, and buckling my toes in the process? And walking like a baby horse that’s just stood up for the first time?
- The cold, and cold activities. The snow can wait for me, like all my life.
- Sucking up to people. I physically can’t do it. I recoil. If you think you need to suck up to someone, news flash, you don’t, you just need them out of your life.
- Coke. Never. Ever. I found my kindred spirit without meeting them in my uni days, when scrawled along the outside of a building I saw the graffitied words “coke is great toilet cleaner.” Now when I ask baby girl what coke is good for, she says happily “cleaning toilets.” Case closed.
- Any messy activities baby girl engages in, like play doh, glitter, glue, paint… must have newspaper underneath, and must be supervised! (Not so much a ‘no’, as a ‘no buts’). I’ve even been known to set her up outside on sunny days, on the grass, just so I have less mess to deal with.
That’s it. That’s my minuscule list, but I guess looking over it I’m a little badass about it. 🤣 It’s really easy to go the easy route and start listing food and drinks you don’t eat, but that’s cheating a bit, and unless it’s something truly shocking, I don’t think it counts as one to put on the ‘no’ list.
So now, share! Please tell me yours. 😁📣